The University System
The University of the Philippines is a university system and shall be composed of constituent universities established solely by its Board of Regents upon the recommendation of the President of the University.
The University of the Philippines System is composed of its existing constituent universities, as follows: University of the Philippines Diliman; University of the Philippines Manila; University of the Philippines Los Baños; University of the Philippines Visayas; University of the Philippines Mindanao; University of the Philippines Baguio; University of the Philippines Open University; and those that may be created in the future. It is referred to in this law as the “National University .” (Sec. 4, Republic Act 9500)
The Board of Regents
The governance of the national university is vested in a board of regents known as the ”Board of Regents of the University of the Philippines System,” hereinafter referred to as the “Board,” composed of:
- The Chairperson of the Commission on Higher Education as Chairperson;
- The President of the University of the Philippines System as Co-Chairperson;
- The Chairperson of the Senate Committee on Education, Arts and Culture;
- The Chairperson of the House Committee on Higher and Technical Education;
- The President of the U.P. Alumni Association, to serve as Alumni Regent during his or her incumbency in that position;
- One Faculty Regent representing all teaching personnel, chosen in accordance with the rules and qualification set by the constituent university councils to.serve for a term of two (2) years;
- One Student Regent, to serve for a term of one (1) year, chosen by the students from their ranks in accordance with rules and qualifications approved in a referendum by the students;
- One Staff Regent representing the full-time permanent research, extension, and professional staff (REPS) and administrative personnel, and chosen by them from their ranks in accordance with the rules and qualifications set by their duly recognized organizations, to serve for a term of two (2) years; and
- Three other Regents who have distinguished themselves in their professions or fields of specialization, to be appointed by the President of the Philippines, considering the recommendation of the Board. At least two (2) of these Regents should be alumni. All these Regents shall each serve for a term of two (2) years: Provided, That the Regents holding office as members of the Board at the time of the effectivity of this Act shall continue to serve until the expiration of their appointments as provided in Executive Order No. 204-A, issued by the President of the Philippines on July 15, 1987. (Sec 12, RA 9500)
The President of the University
- President of the University is the chief academic officer, head of the university faculty and the chief executive officer of the University.
- The President of the University shall exercise the powers specifically provided for in the UP Charter (RA 9500), those determined by the Board, those which pertain to the office of the president of a university, and those which are related or necessary to its functions.
- The Board shall determine the compensation of the President of the University. (Sec 13, RA 9500)
The Secretary of the University and of the Board of Regents
There shall be a Secretary of the University appointed by the Board, who shall also be the Secretary of the Board, and who shall keep such records of the University as may be designated by the Board. (Sec. 15, RA 9500).
The Administration of each constituent university is vested in the Chancellor insofar as authorized by the Board and the President of the University.
The Chancellor of the constituent university shall be elected by the Board upon nomination of the President of the University, following a process of consultation with the constituents of the constituent university based on standards and guidelines set by the Board.
The Chancellor shall report to the President of the University, and shall perform the duties and functions elsewhere stated in this Act, and all the usual, necessary and related functions of the Office of the Chancellor, subject to the policies and rules prescribed by the Board. The Board shall determine the term and compensation of the Chancellor.
If a Chancellor fails to complete his/her term, the President shall appoint an acting Chancellor while a search process is in progress. In no case shall the search and election of the next Chancellor be longer than sixty (60) calendar days from the date when the vacancy occurs. (Sec. 18, RA 9500)
For more information on the officials of the university, please click these links:
- Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Vice President for Administration
- Vice President for Planning and Finance
- Vice President for Development
- Vice President for Public Affairs
- Vice President for Legal Affairs
- UP System Officials and Offices
Click here for the full text of Republic Act 9500 or the Act to Strengthen the University of the Philippines as the National University.